Pages

Sunday 30 October 2011

Turning 40

Turning 40

The day has come, the time is here,
The occasion filled with dread.
The next zero birthday has arrived,
My heart feels just like lead.
A brand new decade, scary stuff,
I'm no longer a "young pup",
'Cos from today I'm expected to
Act like a real grown-up.


The clothes shop now will be a 'mare,
My wardrobe is a sham
As all the trendy stuff I own
Screams "mutton dressed as lamb".
Apparently life begins at it - 
At least that's what is said;
But my visions of being 40
Involve grey hair and mid-life spread.
Others say it's "over the hill"; 
A lot of sense that makes.
But in this car on life's short journey
They've not fitted the brakes.
I will try to forget all this
And face things with a smile,
But truthfully, deep down in my heart
I'm totally in denial.
I guess I'm still the same old me
Who likes to have much fun.
Ach, forget being an ageing forty,
I'll always be twenty-one!

No comments:

Post a Comment