Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Why I think "Boobie Wednesday" is a big boob.


Twitter. I love it. I have a wealth of lovely followers, and those who I choose to follow back are the best of the best. In times of crisis, folks you have never even met are there for you, but in a totally un-weird way. If that is such a word.

One thing I HATE about twitter are some of the hashtags that go about, in particular the “boobie Wednesday” one. On Wednesdays, female tweeters are urged to change their avatar to one of them in their underwear, thereby providing cleavage pics and a message to “remember to check for lumps and bumps”. Now, I'm sure it is meant to help people and was generated with the best of intentions, but I have always disliked this idea. I have never taken part (and never will) and I personally see it as a voyeuristic pleasure for the men on twitter to make sleazy comments at the avatar they see. It happens that way on my Timeline with those who participate anyway. Urgh!!! It all seems fairly........weird. I don't mean to offend any of my followers who DO take part, but that is just how I see it.

Several months ago I was nursing in a hospital ward where a group of women who had breast cancer were staying. Most had had, or were having, mastectomies. On faffing around the bay, I overheard them swapping twitter addresses. One of them said “Oh but I don't go on twitter on Wednesdays. It's all pictures of other people's perfect boobs who haven't an idea what it is like to have had cancer or disfiguring surgery to them”. There followed a conversation about this, which made me realise that to people actually going through breast cancer, this concept is very distasteful.

Many of you know that I was diagnosed with breast cancer two days ago, a complication that has arisen from the radiotherapy I got for my first lot of Hodgkins 19 years ago. I thought I was coping fine. I am a coper in life and a positive person. Until I went on Twitter today. It's my fault, I should have remembered that it was “that” day, but I didn't. First thing I see are cleavages on my timeline with people doing the “check for lumps and bumps” thing. Suddenly I know EXACTLY how that group of patients felt. I don't have any lumps or bumps. I am feeling probably better than I have for years. But I apparently have breast cancer and am now facing surgery – complicated by the fact that I cannot have radiotherapy, as I have had it before. I am going to be “disfigured”. I am feeling that these posts on Twitter are “rubbing my face in it”, as the saying goes. I don't want to have to boycott Twitter, as so many of my followers are now good friends, and have given me so much encouragement and support – something I am going to need over the next few weeks. I simply feel there is a better way to promote checking for ALL kinds of cancer – not using sleazy avatars of apparently “perfect” chests, and “pretty” lingerie for a start. About 30% of females presenting with breast cancer are asymptomatic anyway (cancer research UK statistic) whose cancer is only spotted by screening (as in my case). Maybe it would be more appropriate for those wishing to highlight self-checks and cancers, to re-think how they "rebrand" this.

Just a thought.

6 comments:

  1. I found your blog today. I haven't used Twitter very much and hadn't heard of this. I hope the surgery will work out for you. Must be a very concerning time.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ann, and thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. It's going to be a daunting few weeks, but I'm determined to get through it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really well written piece June and I can well understand your feelings right now with your impending surgery. You feel like there's a little dark cloud above you following you around, no one else can see it but I promise you it will go. You'll burst into tears when you're on your own cos you feel you have to be strong for your family. Many a time I cried myself to sleep trying desperately to hide my sobs from Chris. This is normal and certainly helped me in the first week after being diagnosed. I found the worst thing about the diagnosis was telling my family. It's hard on them, as you well know.

    I had a mastectomy 2 years ago. I didn't have reconstruction so feel disfigured but with my chicken fillet in my bra you'd never know. I'll never be able to go topless on a beach again or wear low cut tops but that doesn't matter, what matters is getting rid of the cancer, like you did before, and you'll do it again!

    I choose to take part in boobieWednesday on Twitter, not every week though, to try to help raise awareness for all my friends. My breast cancer wasn't picked up routine screening. I had a nipple that just seemed inverted sometimes so just mentioned it to my doc whilst having routine smear test. Chris thought it was cellulite!

    The pic I use is me in a bikini 5 months before my op. A lot of my Twitter friends came out in their bras to support me when I first did it which I found truly humbling. So not everyone feels the same who's had breast cancer but I can quite understand why its difficult for some people and I'm certainly not upset with you for voicing your opinion. I love looking at boobs and yes I know I'm weird! One day I will consider reconstruction but I feel great so why rock the boat! Sorry I've gone on a bit but I'm always here to lend support. I'll be thinking of you on Friday.

    Love Sandy Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, you're a gem and a good friend. Thank you for all your support and for "being there". I may well be bugging you over the next few weeks. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi June - I'm so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis and subsequent operation you will have to have. I had a breast cancer scare early in September when I discovered a lump. I was one of the lucky ones as it turned out to be a large hormonal cyst but it was a very worrying couple of weeks. However they did say to me that the very fact it was large & also painful was a good sign as this is usually the case with cancerous lumps. I had to go through all the tests though as they informed me that many breast cancers are diagnosed through screening where no lumps have ever even appeared. The good thing about it now is that I now get to have regular mammograms, although I'm only 42, because I'm now in the system so to speak. I haven't seen any of the boobiewednesday pics on my timeline but I have to agree that it isn't really one of the better uses of Twitter. Although as you know I love Twitter and in particular your tweets always make me smile. You're an inspiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear about your diagnosis! :o(
    why can radiotherapy be done only once?
    i agree the drive behind the cleavage wed has to be guys so they can see it. i'm not a twitter fan so i didn't know of it until i read your blog

    ReplyDelete