Pages

Sunday 30 October 2011

A Parody on an Election Speech, written for the 2010 General Election

Parody on an Election Speech

Friends, Britons, countrymen, lend me your beers, 
I come to suffer Clegg, not to praise him.
The voting that men do lives after them;
The MPs are oft destroyed by their decisions;
So let it be with the Lib Dems. The noble Cameron
Hath told you Clegg was ambitious;
If it were so, it was an unfortunate fault,
And badly Clegg hath borne it.
Here, under leave of the electorate and the rest - 
For the electorate are honourable beings;
So are they all, relatively normal people - 
Come I to speak at Clegg's demise.
He was charismatic, vocal in the coalition;
But Cameron said he was ambitious;
And the electorate are honourable folks.



They hath brought many candidates to the polls
Whose votes did they of the public seek;
Did this in Clegg seem ambitious?
When the AV vote fails, Clegg will weep;
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff;
Yet Cameron said he was ambitious;
And the electorate are moderately reliable folks.
You all did see that on the television
Cameron once offered him a depute PMship
Which he did accept; was this ambition?
Yet Cameron said he was ambitious;
And sure, the electorate are so-so.


I speak not to disprove what the electorate have shown
But I am here to speak what I do know.
You all did like him once, after the Leaders' Debates:
What cause withholds you then, to be upset for him?
O judgement! Thou are fled along with the referendum
And men have lost their faith. Bear with me;
My votes are in the bucket, there with my hopes,
And I must pause 'til I can find them.

(originally written 29-05-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment